Thisted, Denmark

Thisted, Denmark

  • Target: 100% self-sufficiency in electricity supply from renewable sources.
  • Status: Achieved
  • RES: Wind power, geothermal energy, biogas, solar photovoltaics, and district heating.
  • Implementation: The municipality of Thisted is located in the north-west section of Jutland region in Denmark. Today it is seen as a pioneer in the grassroots development of renewable energy based on decentralised energy. In fact, the successful transition towards 100% renewable electricity in Thisted was not the result of a political decision, but has its origins in the gradual expansion of private investments into the utilisation of renewable energy since the early 1980s. Today, all but one of the 252 wind turbines surrounding Thisted are privately owned. In total, 80% of Thisted’s total electricity demand is produced by wind power, while the remaining 20% are provided from biogas plants. Additional production of energy comes from privately owned solar power and geothermal plants that cover 85% of Thisted’s heating demand with renewables. Twisted is pursuing its energy goal based on an alliance of citizens, grassroots organisations and local companies, as well as the commitment of the municipal administration. The involvement of the community is particular key in providing the finance of the renewable energy systems. For example, many farmers have invested in wind power and these investments have paid off quickly, generating benefits after 6-7 years. Aside from the surplus energy that is sold and fed into the general grid, agricultural byproducts are able to be processed into bioethanol, biogas, or biopellets, constituting an additional energy supply from renewable sources. At the same time, Thisted’s citizens are saving one third of their energy costs for heating in comparison to oil-based heating systems. Thisted municipality has inspired innovation and has since established test centres for the development of new approaches in renewable energy production based on wave energy, as well as wind, solar and biogas. Moreover, the community plans to build a virtual power plant in order to be able to manage the decentralised energy supplies more efficiently, such as temporarily shifting the energy supply to the most economical production source.
  • Population: 43,993 (2016)
  • Area: 1,072 km²
  • Link: http://green.thisted.dk/?lang=en
Thisted, Denmark

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *